27 November 2012

Schooled


Never thought I'd be here. Always planned on the traditional form of schooling for my children. The big yellow bus. The tears on the first day. The PTA meetings, back and forths with teachers, field trips and class days and space and time for myself.

But there was something different planned for us. We spend our days schooling. Not sitting doing rote work for hours at a time. On and off throughout the day we are reading, discussing, drawing stories to illustrate our lessons. After a math worksheet we count dominoes before playing an impromptu game. Our morning "school" includes housework and yardwork. Part of the time is spent helping the one younger than you with skills, be it letters or numbers or writing their name. Structure with fluidity. Never saw myself here. Couldn't see us doing anything different. Sure, there are naysayers. Some even family members. They don't understand how this could be as beneficial as public schooling. I used to agree.

But my five year old son is reading and writing. My three year old knows his letters and numbers and is beginning writing his name. My seven year old is doing math 2 years ahead of grade level. More importantly we are all learning together. How to look at life differently. How to learn from each and every experience. How one action can set off a whole chain of reactions and experiences-good and bad. Character qualities are concentrated on each month. This month is Perseverance. We read poems and stories, talk on world events and family happenings, all centered around the idea of Perseverance.

And we are returning to the great literature. Learning from the masters. Viewing life with more richness and color and variations than ever before. Each one is learning to cook for themselves, how to do laundry, work on a car, keep the lawn, care for a pet, MANAGE MONEY (see Dave Ramsey's My Total Money Makeover).

I can't understand now why I ever snickered at the idea of home education, why I ever smiled condescendingly on those that choose that path. It's truly learning how to live life. Do I think it's better than traditional public schooling? I can't say that on behalf of everyone else. But for us nothing could be better.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Sarah, We're cheering you on!

Mel said...

Yay! We do school at home too ... and love it!