01 April 2011

Before Morning Comes



While the sky is still dark and before the bugle call of morning, two little feet trudge down the long hallway, dragging behind a menagerie of stuffed friends and sometimes a blanket.



If I'm not in a deep sleep the ribbon of light from the hallway stripes across our bed and I see the little figure standing in the doorway, regarding us at our rest. Swiftly and silently he clambers over pillows and knees and nestles in between us.



When his head is on the pillow and his breath is even, eyelashes fanning his cheeks I regard him, picturing a day in the not so distant future. He will be tall and strong and accomplished. He will no longer seek us out for nighttime comfort and cuddles. His world, the center of it will have changed. Grown up and out of our house, out of our arms and into new experiences, new relationships, new loves...



So for this little while I will open my arms, share just a little piece of my resting moments with this little boy who is afraid, who needs assurance. Give a little and he will learn to give too I hope..


No comments: