05 December 2008

We'll Have to Muddle Through Somehow

More and more lately it seems I have been operating without my head on straight. Today it feels as if I haven't had it on at all. I've noticed there is a particular pattern to days with two toddlers and a puppy. There is first a slam bang, breathless, up and down, horrible and terrific all at once day. Really high highs and really low lows. Everything that isn't tied down ends up all over the floor, each other's faces, the dog or most often, all over mommy. This sort of a day happens to be the one which finds me working without that most valuable of all body parts, I'm often nothing more than a headless bundle of emotions. It is at these moments that I must laugh (as Abe Lincoln says) or I will do nothing but weep.

The day that follows this sort of a day is bright and sunny and cheerful. Tempers are even, emotions seem to be still waters and I manage to have a shower, unload and load the dishwasher and complete the laundry in record time. Our resident canine is a saint and Little Jack Horner and Mary Mary Quite Contrary are all that nursery rhyme characters parading as Behnke children should be. The hours pass quickly because we are enjoying our time together. The smooth, unruffled tone of this day prepares me for the one to follow: tempest tossed once more.

After a particularly stressful time at the playground in which both children fell down numerous times, ran into everything possible, scraped and scratched little hands and faces, Natalie even got a case of leash burn from an interesting and painful episode involving an eager dog and an attempt to swing on her belly instead of seated, it was clear it was time to head for the hills, or home as it were.

Back home we came in the midst tears and whines and happily settled into making peppermint bark and chocolate dipped pretzels for Christmas care packages. Nothing a few licks of a chocolate covered spoon can't soothe. That lasted for all of 20 minutes and we were back to square one. I have yet to figure out how to hold and properly soothe two emotion laden toddlers while a 45 pound bassett hound is jumping on my shoulders as well. Maybe I'll never figure that one out.

So..we are down for naps now. The kitchen is littered with the remnants of our candy making, the laundry basket is beyond overflowing and our two bathrooms are desperately in need of a good scrub. So I will take a deep breath, chug a mug of coffee and get going...How much I am looking forward to the promise of a tranquil day tomorrow!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Sarah! I don't have much advice, but if feeling not alone helps: I am chugging my mug of coffee, looking around at a house that evidentally was in the path of a hurricane, and wondering how much I can get done while the baby is still sleeping. Having two little ones is hard - it takes an enormous amount of creativity and an even larger amount of energy. It sounds to me like you are doing a great job!
God give you patience today. It is only a stage, and the next one (with it's own unique challenges) will come before you know it.

Deanna @ oneagleswings said...

I'm in the trenches with you, friend. (Remember 'trench' from our EBI days?)

Anyway...praying for grace for us all.