12 December 2008

Are You There God?


Remember that Judy Blume book, "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret?" That title has been running through my head the past couple days. Maybe because I saw a disturbing SNL skit about it, but more likely because I've been having some trouble listening lately.


Our resident three year old is bright and inquisitive, sometimes driving Mommy to the point of exasperation. I enjoy answering a question or two. Heck I kind of enjoy figuring out a simple straightforward explanation to something rather difficult. I don't mind answering a different question on the same subject. But when it comes to answering the same question OVER and OVER again in a 20 minute period that's where I start to lose tiny valuable pieces of my sanity. It is chipped away slowly with painstaking concentration until lunchtime finds me barely able to babble a question of what drink everyone would like.


I've wondered if I have a particularly small reserve of patience. I have tried many different ways to answer the same question. And yet, the question remains. So the more I've been contemplating and praying and taking deep cleansing breaths something has come to me. Maybe the questions aren't being asked because the answer really matters. Maybe Natalie is asking the questions to make sure I'm here...still present...still listening.


And maybe that's what I need from God more than anything else. I know He cannot answer all my questions to my satisfaction. I know sometimes He will choose not to change something that I've had my heart set on. But I still ask the questions because at the end of the day I just want to know He's there.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Sarah - sorry, your comment wouldn't let me reply to it, so I had to just reply here!
Jordan has been talking with recruiters (with advice and accompanied by guys who know the inside!). He's already done all his testing and qualification stuff and just officially "swore in" last week.
So, we're in, for better or worse! Just the testing was a miracle in itself - he had to pass a color-blind test to be airborne qualified and he did for the first time in his life. Total miracle & confirmation that God is in this.

Tim and Sarah said...

Sarah,

What an amazing miracle. Tim and I were wondering if Jordan would pass because of the colorblind issue. Full speed ahead now huh? Well the Army's a small world so we should be bumping into each other once or twice through the years. All the best to you both. God give you strength and joy for the amazing ride ahead!