28 July 2008

The Force is With Us!



I must admit I have never been that taken with the whole Star Wars thing. I guess I never took much time to understand it. Enter my try anything once husband who constantly encourages me to give things a chance. Surprise Surprise, I do not hate Star Wars. And after a day like today I think I love Star Wars, yep kind of in love with all things Star Wars right now.

The story goes something like this. Over the past year, yep that's year, we have been trying any which way we can think of to potty train Natalie. She was a one hit wonder on the day of her 2nd birthday, she was going like a champ. Then it began to taper off and after our big move to NC it was almost non existent for long periods of time. No coaxing, encouragement, M&M's, gummy bears, nothing would give her that extra little push to go.

Then today came. One of those days that seems like it's out of control before you even get out of bed. Somehow you cannot seem to get your bearings, cannot grab ahold of the steering wheel and turn the thing around, it's going and you're going with it. Without much enthusiasm, and a halfhearted smile of encouragement I turned to Natalie. "Babe, if you go poo on the potty you can have an amazing treat!" As usual I said that before I figured out if previously mentioned amazing treat was even available. She looked interested. I scrambled through items in the pantry. Found a Star Wars Pez dispenser. She took one look at it and her eyes began to shine. Clenching her fists in determination she looked up at me , "Ok mom, I will do it!", with that she ran to the potty and proceeded to make a name for herself.

Something about that Star Wars Boba Fett Pez dispenser made her take that chance. And boy was I a proud mother! Great job Natalie! And many more!!!

2 comments:

Deanna @ oneagleswings said...

And many, many more! Way to go Natalie and good job thinking on your feet, Sarah.

Micaiah regressed when we made our big move last August. We kept with it and didn't go back to diapers and after 6 long weeks of puddles, he was back to the potty. I had been told to expect regression with a move and it makes sense.

It sure is nice to 'only' have one in diapers. Micaiah is now going totally on his own and can usually get his pants/undies back up without my help. It makes my life a whole lot easier. :)

We did 2 m&m's after every #1 and 3m&m's after every #2 (did that make sense...that was a lot of numbers). We gradually just stopped offering the treat and would only give it to him when he reminded us. Then, we all just totally forgot about it I guess.

Anyway, good for her. Here's to Star Wars!

Sarah in the Middle said...

HI Sarah - thanks for finding me! I see you have an adorable, curly-haired princess just like I do :) I enjoyed catching up with you a little, and will be back