04 June 2009

Two Kinds of Blue

What a day, what a day. After so much preparation and prayer and a mixture of curiosity and dread we have sent Tim off to the front. After hearing me sing it several times Adam has been heard from various corners of the house singing the old war tune, "Over there" (over there, over there, over there...).

It was quite difficult to watch him pack all his gear, stencil his name on the front and unload it from our car. Harder still to hear him pray over each one of us, voice cracking and then to drive off as he marched, pack on his back, alongside our van as far as he could follow us, shouting, "I love you"...

We were all quite broken up over it, definitely blue. Many times over this past year leading up to this point I have asked myself and God if this is best, if this is right for our family. How can this be good? I have questioned. Sure, it's difficult, and yeah maybe sometimes it feels unfair. But who is going to do this job? Who is going to take the time to lead these men deeper in their faith and come alongside them in their struggles. Yes, it's a major sacrifice, but don't we all make sacrifices one way or another in this life? I am proud and amazed that Tim is making his life count and have no doubt his example will influence our children positively.

And speaking of children... Today also included another shade of blue. Little boy blue that is. We are thrilled to announce another little Behnke boy on the way. Cannot wait to hold him and share our world with this new little one. Hooray!

2 comments:

Deanna @ oneagleswings said...

I have tears in my eyes and this isn't even my life!

Your writing always make me feel right there, like I'm riding in the van with you as you are driving away from Tim.

I'll be praying for all 5 of you, that God would be in the midst.

Congratulations on Behnke boy #2! I can't wait to 'meet' him.

Mel said...

We will be praying for you and your family as your man is away. We watch some of our "kids" go "away" and I am so blessed that there are people like Tim to care for them while they are gone away from their youth pastors and pastors. Thank you. You can't imagine how blessed we are by your sacrifice.
Congratulations on baby boy! I LOVE having 2 boys. I love hearing them play together and seeing them love each other in a little boy way. May you be richly blessed today.