20 February 2009

The Saga Continues

I'm feeling a tad guilty these final hours before we pack Buster off and ship him out. I watch the moments of glee and giggles my children have with him, how Adam babbles on to him moments on end, "See Bus, good doggie, right Bus?"

Or how Natalie loves to play tug of war with him (until he knocks her down in his enthusiasm), and I ask myself 'What kind of blackhearted cad are you to send away your toddlers' dog?"

I used to gaze out my window while doing dishes each morning and watch a mother with two tots in a jogging stroller and one or two panting dogs on leashes wrapped around her forearms jog effortlessly by. Or at the playground the proverbial 2 parents, 2 children and dog play frisbee with ease and nary a frown. It all looks so idyllic.

And so I decided, well I tried it once with a newborn puppy, now maybe we'll try one that's a little older. I can do this, I can hack it, it's not that big of a deal. But once I got the leash strapped around my forearms and began the lunging, ungainly task of walking the dog (or being dragged by him along with the stroller complete with two wailing toddlers, losing wheels and careening off curbs madly), it was a different story. I too tried the 2 parents, 2 children, 1 dog at the park frisbee toss and it went horribly wrong. Everyone in sight was knocked off their feet, Buster panting and foaming at the mouth to get at not only the frisbee but also to consume several fingers in the process. Forget about family time. It was a dog's day out.

So I am packing away my rosy visions of two toddlers and a puppy. Maybe it's only cute on paper, through the window. At least for me, right now.

So tonight if I am tossing restlessly in bed, unable to find the good ship slumber I will repeat this proverb over and over to myself:

Why keep a dog and bark yourself? - Proverb

Instead of this which will keep me up all night:

"A house without either a cat or a dog is the house of a scoundrel." - Portuguese Proverb

1 comment:

barb said...

Dear Sarah.

I will try this again. They say that the 3rd time is the charm so here goes!
I am so thankful that you have written this blog and share it with us.
I know that dogs are really great companions. I cherished the dogs we had on the farm as I was growing up. But they had plenty of room to run around and we did not have them in the house with us. They take alot of time and care and never grow up to take care of themselves. I feel you made a very wise decision at this point in your lives to give Buster to a loving family.

With much love,
Mom