21 August 2008

It's a Small World


Some days seem like they will never end. You know, the days when certain little people in your home decide to rise at the top o the mornin and you feel as though you barely shut your eyes to snooze? When you just settle in for that deep satisfying sleep cycle and you hear the crib shaking and rattling in one room and in the next sounds of a possible renovation on the toy kitchen. How do you start this day right when it feels you barely finished the last one? Aside from a long hot shower (rare luxury that I barely remember anymore), a snatch at a Scripture to carry you through (oh for the days of quiet study and meditation!) and gulping a lukewarm coffee on the run throughout the day, you muddle through at first and hopefully find your groove as the hours unfold.

Although I cannot always say I start a day the right way my main goal has been to make sure I finish well. I actually have to repeat it to myself sometimes when I feel that I might be losing patience or understanding what it's like to be a small person in a big person's world. The other day I crouched down on the floor to my daughter's height and looked up to right about where I would be standing. A little daunting, definitely intimidating, especially during a trying moment. More than anything it helps to freeze frame the moment and try to look at things through my little ones eyes. If I can just give them the benefit of the doubt, take time to really listen and join them where they're at I find such a change in their demeanor and their behavior. Inspire these little ones to want to be the best self they can be. Instead of demanding change and threatening consequences, remain calm, follow through and don't lose sight of what you're aiming for. Now if I can just remember that once the day begins!

1 comment:

Deanna @ oneagleswings said...

Hi Sarah!

Somehow I missed this blog entry from 4 days ago! I was just thinking that you hadn't blogged in a while and when I looked at my blog list, there was a new post! I had just somehow missed it.

Anyway, thinking of you, friend!