15 September 2009

My Girl




Our little birthday girl. Has it really been 4 years since you enchanted us with your smile, your calm, steady gaze, your dancing feet and laughing eyes?
The lament I once imagined I'd feel at the passing of years has been replaced with such deep enjoyment and wonder at the little person you are.
Strong of opinion, never hesitant to speak your mind, sweet of heart, always concerned about Adam's needs and asking if I need any help. Without even asking you come upon me in my daily tasks and pick up a dishcloth to wipe down a counter or a broom to sweep the floor. In the morning I find fresh flowers in my bathroom vase and little presents from you on my night table.
You find such excitement in living things, in growing plants and caring for small creatures. Our yard is filled with little homes and habitats for your "pets" and our flower boxes always freshly tilled and new things growing there by the day...
Your spirit is generous. Even today, your day you saw how much your little brother enjoyed some of your gifts so you gladly filled your arms and set them up in his room..
Your mind is inquisitive, always wanting to be a part of whatever conversation is going on, with the store clerk, a friend on the telephone, a conversation with Daddy, you want to know everyone and everything...
You absorb so much, things I didn't even think you notice. Like a few brief lessons on littering. Now you see a gum wrapper fall out of my pocket and you are the first one to say, "Mom, you better pick that up, you don't want to be a glitterbug!" (sounds better than litterbug I guess).
You are a teacher by nature. Showing Adam how to do everything from work a Playdough ice cream maker to reading him a story. While playing with your new fairy garden set today you solemnly held up a baby swan and said, "Mom, when a swan is a baby it is called a cigarette."
Much as you may be rivals at time for toys and attention you love no one more than your little brother."Sit in my lap Adam", you'll say, patting a lap barely big enough to hold him and yet he comes, crawling up on you and settling in to listen. Before bed each night you cannot sleep until you've stopped in his room to sing him a lullaby.
You amaze me with your open heart, your grace, your joy for life. I cannot take any credit. All of these beautiful gifts you bring to the world were instilled in you by hands larger and stronger than my own, by a Heart that truly knows you inside and out.
I cannot wait for the years to come, to see you swing those doors wide and embrace the life you are created for.
Happy Birthday Natalie! It is you who are truly a gift.

2 comments:

Deanna @ oneagleswings said...

What sweet words for a beautiful girl! Happy 4th birthday, Natalie.

These children are works of art, each one different and yet loved deeply. :)

barb said...

What a wonderfully written and expressive tribute to Natalie. She will really appreciate all the kind words as she grows. I really miss all of you and pray that Will comes easily and on time. Mom is really looking forward to coming and your advice about coming after the first of the year is good. May God continue to shower you with His blessings. Lots of love, Dad