27 June 2008

Rows of neat little boxes

Okay so I finally pushed myself to start a blog after much dragging of feet. I have always been a very private person and honestly as I approach 30 I have realized it is something I want to change. I planned to post once a week just to update on the kids of course. But now I find I look forward to the quiet around me and the sound of clicking keys and finally emptying my cluttered mind after a LONG but satisfying day.

Whew! Sometimes I forget what it feels like to have only one central thought on my mind. Usually it's such a myriad that I can hardly focus on one task. Enter the handy whiteboard that I have now installed in my kitchen which offers a daily quote such as; "People do not lack strength, they lack will" (hello crunches I'm all over you), and a row of neat little boxes which I must check after I complete the following tasks. Often this board is the bane of my existence, screaming at me that I have not completed more than one or sometimes none of the list I had so eagerly formulated that morning.

But other days like today I feel on top of the world because just about every box is checked. It's amazing what a difference it makes to feel that you have accomplished even one small something like making an appointment or changing the AC filters. I start with an easy task so I can make a check early in the day and it starts me on a good rhythm.

My next quote will be helpful for the day when none of the boxes are checked. "When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on" (FDR).

2 comments:

Rachel said...

yay, you did more than one post! I am so glad you have decided to blog too! You have such a way with words, you put my "layman's language" to shame! Love you guys, hopefully soon I'll get a webcam so we can see each other that way and I can see the kids too.

Have a good day!

Deanna @ oneagleswings said...

I agree with Rachel. You do have such a way with words, which is why I have read each of your 2 entries several times. I am with you on the need to feel like I'm accomplishing something, with my little checklists and all. I love the quotes, by the way!